Wednesday, November 23, 2011
Top Reasons Why You May Not Be Invited To Thanksgiving
1. RSVP!!! We can't stress enough the importance of how this common courtesy not only plays into the perception what kind of guest you are, but it allows the host to know the quantity of preparation required for the evening.If you're bringing a guest make that known too! It's rude to show up and take Grandma Eunice's plate and leave her with nothing to eat.
2. Timing is Everything- If the get together time is listed at 6pm, don't show up at 7:30 when the food is ready to be served. You're completely undermining the deeper purpose of socialization that Thanksgiving gathering stands for. The food is not the reason for the gathering, the people are.
3. Offer to Bring Something- We don't care if it is napkins, or your finest port wine, make it known that you wish to be a contribution to the occassion and not just leech off the host's efforts. The key word is OFFER. Don't force your offerings upon the host. Your intention may be just enough.
4. Dress Like You Have Sense- This is not the club, nor are you applying to be a nun. Wear something comfortable and casual. Traditionally appropriate attire consists of skirts just above the knee or dresses at the calf. Rule of thumb: It is better to over dress for the occasion than under dress.
5. Please and Thank You's - These simple words were taught when you were 5 years old, yet the magic of them never ceases. Use them often and sincerely.
6. Offer to Assist in the Clean Up- The worst thing a guest can do is dine and ditch. If you have to cut the evening in that household short, offer to clean up along the way by at least collecting the plates after the meal. There is always something that can be done to aid the host.
7. Let's Talk Turkey- Let's NOT talk about politics, religion, or re-live the drama cousin Archie caused some 3 years ago. The conversation should be light, positive, and uplifting. The host puts a lot of work in to making the day into a positive memory. The only pot stirring should be the one in the kitchen.
You can be the life of the party... these tips just help make sure you get invited back to the next party. CHEERS!